What is Power Hatch Lift Support
A power hatch lift support, also called electric tailgate struts, power rear hatch lift supports or power tailgate lift support, is a device that helps to open and close the rear hatch or liftgate of a vehicle. It uses a hydraulic or electric system to assist in lifting the weight of the hatch or liftgate, making it easier to open and close.
A power tailgate lift support can be found on vehicles with a power liftgate or power rear hatch. When the driver activates the power liftgate button or uses the key fob to open the hatch, the lift support system engages and assists in lifting the weight of the hatch. This is especially useful for people who may have difficulty lifting heavy objects or for those who want the convenience of being able to open the hatch with the touch of a button.
Electric tailgate struts are typically made up of a hydraulic or electric motor, a liftgate control module, and lift cylinders or struts. These components work together to provide the lifting force needed to open and close the hatch. They are an important component of the vehicle's safety system, as they can prevent the hatch from falling unexpectedly and causing injury or damage.
Electric tailgate strut working principle
As a type of power hatch lift support mechanism, electric tailgate struts use an electric motor to lift and hold the tailgate in place.
- Power source: Electric tailgate struts are powered by electricity from the vehicle's battery or electrical system.
- Control module: A control module or computer manages the operation of the electric rear hatch lift s This module may be located in the vehicle's central computer or integrated into the tailgate itself.
- Motor: An electric motor drives the lift mechanism of the tailgate struts. When activated, the motor rotates a gear or pulley that moves a piston or hydraulic cylinder, causing the tailgate to lift.
- Sensors: Sensors may be included to detect when the tailgate is fully open or closed, and to prevent the tailgate from opening or closing if an obstruction is detected.
- Wiring: Wiring connects the various components of the electric tailgate struts, allowing the control module to communicate with the motor and sensors.
How to replace power hatchback lift supports?
With a few basic tools, replacing power hatchback lift supports can be a straightforward process that can be done quickly.
At the very beginning of the replacement process, make sure you have the correct replacement lift supports for your vehicle. After that, you need to secure the hatchback or tailgate. To prop a trunk or hatchback open, you can use a support brace or have someone hold it open for you. Then you are allowed to remove the old struts by employing tools such as a flathead screwdriver or a pry bar. It's always important to support the hatchback with your other hand as you remove each lift support to prevent it from falling. Then start to install the new lift support. Lining up the new lift supports with the mounting brackets on the hatchback and vehicle body. Gently pushing the retaining clips or pins into place to secure the lift supports. Last but not least, carefully lower and raise the hatchback several times to test the new lift supports and ensure that they are properly installed and functioning correctly. If the hatchback doesn't move smoothly or is difficult to lift or lower, check the installation til you get the job all done.