What does a turn signal switch do?
An automotive turn signal switch is a component in a car's steering column that enables the driver to indicate the direction in which they intend to turn or change lanes. When the driver moves the turn signal lever up or down, it activates a switch that sends an electrical signal to the car's turn signal lights, causing them to flash on the front and rear of the car to indicate the intended direction of the turn or lane change. In addition to indicating the direction of the turn, the turn signal switch also cancels the signal automatically after the turn is completed or when the steering wheel is straightened. The turn signal switch is an important safety feature in a car as it alerts other drivers of the driver's intended maneuver, reducing the risk of accidents or collisions.
Turn signal switch replacement
Replacing a turn signal switch is a task that may be required if the switch fails or malfunctions, causing the turn signals or hazard warning lights to stop working. It's important to ensure that the new switch is compatible with the vehicle's make and model and is of high quality to ensure safe and reliable operation.
While replacing the turn signal switch can be done as a DIY project, it can be a complex task that requires mechanical skills and knowledge. If you're not confident in your ability to perform the task, it's best to seek the assistance of a professional mechanic. You can refer to these steps when you need to change the turn signal switch:
- Disconnect the battery
- Remove the steering wheel cover
- Remove the old turn signal switch. You may need to use a screwdriver or socket wrench to remove the screws.
- Position the new turn signal switch in place and secure it using the mounting screws. Reconnect any electrical connectors that were removed earlier.
- Once the new turn signal switch is in place, reattach the steering wheel or column cover, ensuring that all screws or clips are properly secured.
- Finally, reconnect the negative battery cable to the battery and test the new turn signal switch by activating the turn signals and hazard warning lights.